Here you will find all the links, discussion questions, and activities for our unit on William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. Below is the link to the online book of No Fear Shakespeare, on the right-hand side is the modern English, while on the left is the Elizabethan English, A.K.A. Shakespeare's original wording. You can also check out the assignments on Google Classroom.
ACT 1: Scene 3 Questions:
- Who does Bassiano take out a loan from?
- Why is guaranteeing this loan so dangerous to Antonio?
- What religion does Shylock follow?
- What religion does Antonio follow?
- What does Bassanio ask the man he is getting the loan from to do in order to complete the loan process?
- Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
- Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
- What has lowered the interest rates on loans in Venice?
- What does the money lender want if the loan that Bassanio needs cannot be repaid?
- How much money will Antonio earn when his investments come to fruition?
- Why is Bassiano so nervous about Antonio signing the loan agreement?
- How much interest is being charged on the loan to Bassanio?