Here you will find all the links, discussion questions, and activities for our unit on William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. Below is the link to the online book of No Fear Shakespeare, on the right-hand side is the modern English, while on the left is the Elizabethan English, A.K.A. Shakespeare's original wording. You can also check out the assignments on Google Classroom.
1. Who of the following is NOT present to discuss the masquerade?
2. What do the men lack for the upcoming masquerade?
3. What does Launcelot do that breaks up the discussion about the masquerade?
4. Who wants to dine with Shylock the evening of the Masquerade?
5. What does Lorenzo say he will be doing on the night of the masquerade?
6. What convinces Lorenzo to change his plans on the night of the masquerade?
7. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
8. What will Jessica do for Lorenzo the night of masquerade?
9.Who does Lorenzo give his letter to after reading it?
10. Who does Lorenzo love?
11. What does Lorenzo say he is saving the woman he loves from?
12. Where will Shylock be when his daughter attends the masquerade?
13. What does Shylock tell Launcelot he will not receive while working for his new master?
14. Where will Shylock be dining on the night of the masquerade?
15. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
16. What does Shylock tell Jessica to do while he is dining on the night of the masquerade? *
17.What does Shylock tell his daughter NOT to do on the night of masquerade?
18. Who does Launcelot tell Jessica is coming the night of the masquerade?
19. How does Launcelot tell Jessica about who is coming to her house the night of the masquerade?
20. What is Shylock worried will happen during the masquerade?
21. What does Jessica hope to lose on the night of the masquerade?
22. What does Jessica hope her father will lose on the night of the masquerade?
23. What new reason does Shylock have to hate Bassanio on the night of the masquerade?
24. What does Jessica plan to do while her father is dining on the night of the masquerade?
ACT 2: Scenes 1-3
Short Answer. 1-2 Sentences (Doesn’t have to be complete sentences)
Where does the Moroccan prince first touch land?
What color is the Moroccan prince wearing when he first appears on stage?
How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
What does the Moroccan prince beg Portia not to judge him by?
What does the Moroccan want Portia to judge him by?
Why does Portia say it does not matter how she judges him?
What is the consequence of a suitor choosing the wrong chest?
Who is the first person to attempt choosing one of the chests?
What does The Moroccan Prince think Portia does not like about him?
What does Portia really not like about the Moroccan Prince?
They will not be allowed to ever marry if they choose incorrectly.
What did Portia's father want to determine through his test of chests?
What is Launcelot's occupation?
What does Launcelot want to do when he first appears on stage?
Why does Launcelot think his master is a devil?
Who is Launcelot's master?
What is Launcelot's father's name?
What physical ailment does Launcelot's father have?
Who does Launcelot want to work for?
Where is Bassanio heading to after speaking with Gratiano?
Who does Bassanio hire into his service before he leaves Venice?
Who begs to travel with Bassanio on his journey before he leaves Venice?
What does Bassano demand of the man who begs to go on the journey with Bassanio?
What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
What is the name of Shylock's daughter?
What religion does Shylock's daughter follow?
What religion does Shylock's daughter want to follow?
Who is Shylock's daughter sad to see leave?