All Questions must be responded to in you ELA copybook. Prepare to discuss the responses in a group the next class day.
Night Chapter 1 Discussion Questions
- Who is Moishe the Beadle? What important role does he play in Elie’s life?
- Describe Elie’s father. What was his profession? What kind of relationship does Elie have with him? What could this relationship mean throughout the rest of the book?
- Summarize Moishe’s story after he returns from being deported. Why did he need to return to Sighet? How did people react to his story? Why did they react this way?
- On page 12, Elie states “The ghetto was ruled by neither German nor Jew; it was ruled by delusion.” What is the meaning/relevance of this quote? What does it say about the Jews’ mindset?
- On page 16, Elie states “People must have thought there could be no greater torment in God’s hell than that of being stranded here…Anything seemed preferable to that.” What is ironic about this statement? Did the author intend this statement to be ironic?
- Page 21 begins with a one word sentence: “Night.” What is the relevance of this word? What does “night” mean for Elie at this specific stage in the book?