Mother Marie Kathleen and Sister Charles Miriam, Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary commuted daily from Sacred Heart Convent in Manoa to teach the first pupils, using classroom space provided on the third floor of neighboring Saint Bernadette Parish School. On April 23, 1950, the 2 story school building was dedicated by Bishop Hugh Lamb and opened its doors in September to an enrollment of 234 elementary school children. In the Summer of 1953 the third floor was added to the school.
In 1996, the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary left Saint Dorothy School and, in 1997, a Sister of Mercy became principal for one year. Mrs. Louise Sheehan was named principal of St. Dorothy School in July of 1997. The influence of religious in the parish and school continues through the presence of the Sisters of Mercy who minister as liturgist, and Director of Religious Education.
St. Dorothy School operates out of two buildings. The three story brick building houses sixteen classrooms and administrative offices. The Gymnasium, located on the lower level of the main school, has a stage area that allows for the presentation of assemblies and drama productions. The health room, a room for use by the Speech and Language Therapist, two Kindergarten classes, Library, Science Lab, Computer Lab, Remedial Reading Room, Religion Education Office, and Cafeteria are located in the lower level of the Church.